Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join fuzzy matching results

Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I have a list of companies mapped by industry subsector. Then I have another reference table mapping subsectors to sectors.

I want to append the sectors as a column to my main main company list table. As the subsector names in both tables vary slightly (space before / etc.) I am using fuzzy match.

The matching process delivers expected results but I am having trouble appending the sector column to my main table as. Currently I use two join tools plus a unique tool as the two joins create a variety of duplicate rows. I have looked at other forum solutions but couldn't make it work. I feel there must be a better/more accurate/elegant way of doing this.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Simon2902 ,

Could it be possible to get some data to check it?

Regards

Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

main data and reference table attached

VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @Simon2902,

Attached you can find my proposal to join both data sets and have the sector as a new column

What I noticed is that you needed to clean the keys. I applied the data cleansing tool to do that, as well as the formula tool to unify things like

Petrochemicals- Base

Petrochemicals -Base

Petrochemicals-Base

To be: Petrochemicals - Base

The same happened with the "/"

It is still not perfect, you need to clean 13 keys, but these ones have "different" names

For example:

Building Suppliers (Trade) vs Building Suppliers (Trade)/Diy

or 

Security & Safety Systems  vs  Security & Safety

These differences can be cached with the fuzzy match tool

I hope this helps 

VianneyM_0-1579298015463.png

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
Simon2902
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @VianneyM 

that solution helps to remove duplicates. I added in a fuzzy matching step similar to my original workflow which, together, works out well. I will accept your solution, workflow attached.

Labels