Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join for a beginner

remibrun
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everybody,

new user on alteryx, I try to combine two data sets with a join tool. The problem is that after that, I have 2 ou 3 times records more.

I combine with one field because I have juste one field in common.

I post my workflow iff you have any suggestion.

Sorry my question is maybe very simple...

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @remibrun ,

I think, the problem is that in the file "PromoSaleItemsReport.csv" there are multiple rows with same CnkNr and ArtName (e.g. repeated by PromoDate). What happens is that each rows with CnkNr x from LDV2018clean.csv/LDV2019clean.csv is joined to all rows with the same CnkNr in file PromoSaleItemsReport. You could e.g. include additional fields in join (maybe DateSale and PromoDate??) or add a Unique tool to get only unique CnkNr/ArtName from PromoSaleItemsReport.csv. What do you think?

Best,

Roland

danespoors
8 - Asteroid

Hi @remibrun 

I would recommend creating a unique identifier to join on. Concatenate 2 or 3 columns together using a formula tool to generate one perfectly unique column and use this to join the data together.

Repeating columns is a sign of data duplication and unique IDs are the best way to eliminate them.

In your formula tool, add a new column and then it's as simple as [Column 1] + [Column 2] + [Column 3]

Hope that helps,

Dane.

remibrun
6 - Meteoroid

First thanks for you answer.

yes that's the problem. I have one data set with all of my sales lines (for one store) et I have one data set with more information for each CNK (unique identification of one product).

I would like to join the two data sets to have one big data file (with all the sales lines and the information cnk for each line). Normally I would have the same numbers of lines and more fields?

danespoors
8 - Asteroid

Hi @remibrun ,

If you CNK is your unique identifier, then this is the only thing that needs to be used in a join.

Adding in the other field, if it's not unique, can lead to issues with duplication.

Try your workflow joined just on CNK.

Hope it helps,

Dane.

danespoors
8 - Asteroid

Hi @remibrun 

Also, if your CNK and ArtName are unique together, you can remove duplicates with the Unique Tool as mentioned by @RolandSchubert .

I've attached your workflow with the unique tool added to the inner join.

Also, good practice is to try avoiding overlapping lines where possible so that you can follow the flow a little easier. Try moving tools around to help keep understanding clear.

Hope this helps,

Dane.

remibrun
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, I'll test that tomorrow

remibrun
6 - Meteoroid

Hi 

after trying, I realized that I have to use unique tool like you propose before the job,. I have to be sure that in my file (with the CNK and the promotion) I have just one time each cnk.

Is it possible with the tool unique? 

danespoors
8 - Asteroid

Hi @remibrun 

Sure it is, you would just need to attach an unique tool to both of the streams that go into the join.

Place a unique tool after each of the selects and then have the unique output leading to the join.

Hope that helps,

Dane.

remibrun
6 - Meteoroid
Fine, but It will select only the CNK wich appear one time (and not the others)?
I need to have all CNK one time.
Do you think by using summarize tool (group by cnk) it will give the good data with unique CNK?

Thank you so much
Labels