Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join between row value/column header?

jeremyblaney
7 - Meteor

I have a dataset that needs to go into a shell, but I'm not sure how best to do so. Here's what my dataset and the shell looks like:

Dataset 1

OrganizationMovement TypeCount
Org AType 111
Org AType 212
Org BType 116
Org BType 228
Org BType 324
Org CType 228

Shell

OrganizationType 1Type 2Type 3Type 4Type 5Type 6Type 7
Org A       
Org B       
Org C       

You can see the movement types in the source dataset are columns in the shell.

Is there a way to put the value in the appropriate org (row)/movement type (column) without transposing the shell? In other words a IF Org = Org AND Movement Type = Column Name THEN Count?

I'd like to keep the shell as is because it's easier to see what's going on, create custom formulas (some of the type fields are calcs of the previous types), etc.

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try the Crosstab tool.

AndrewL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jeremyblaney,

Unfortunately there's no way to build an expression inside a Join tool to do that kind of conditional Join. That said, the easier way to do this, if you don't want to reformat your shell, would be to reformat the data set to conform to the shell.

You can do this very easily using the CrossTab tool. I've attached a simple sample showing the configuration, and included a step using the Data Cleansing tool to replace null values with 0s, which you may or may not want to do depending on your use case.

If this is not quite what you're looking for you may want to reach out to support@alteryx.com with your workflow and data (if you can share) so we can better assist.

Thanks,

Andrew

AndrewL
Alteryx
Alteryx
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello all,

Two posts have been merged together on this question.

Thanks!

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
Labels