Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join based on Dynamic field in Macro Iteration

cuong_brian
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a list of fields in this format:  Mgr01Username, Mgr02Username, ..., Mgr10Username. 

I want to build an iterative join that with each iteration, it will take on the next field in the list to join.

Example:

Iteration 1:  Mgr01Username = MgrUsername

Iteration 2:  Mgr02Username = MgrUsername

However, I don't know how to substitute the join field in the macro to achieve this.  Any help is appreciated.   Thanks!

BrianJoin based on dynamic field.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I suggest using a Control Parameter to make this a batch macro. The Control Parameter will be a macro input from the data stream outside the macro and it can be used by the Action tool to configure the Join.

DavidxL
9 - Comet

Note that you also can't use batch macros with In-DB tools, which means you'd be better off using regular tools for querying the database and joining afterwards.

If the amount of data is an issue, you may have to play around with using macros to modify a SQL query "template".

cuong_brian
5 - Atom

Thanks, I tried the 2nd option.  I created a batch macro with a Control Parameter and generate the SQL on the fly.  Since the data is large, I send the query to the database for the execution.  

cuong_brian
5 - Atom

Thanks, I created a macro and use the Control Parameter to iterate through different levels of the organization hierarchy.

Argjent
5 - Atom

Hi, is it possible for you to share your solution? I am working on a similar task right now and would appreciate any help. 

Sudeshna
5 - Atom
@Argjent , @cuong_brian - can you please share the solution? i'm looking to exactly similar solution to parse through org hierarchy? any help/leads greatly appreciated.
Sarita_Singh
5 - Atom

Hi Team, I need to put distinct suffixes in file name based on the iteration number , how can i do that? I have a list of suffixes with serial number also present, 
My idea is to join this list with iteration number and pick the correct suffix, 

Can anyone let me know how I can use the Iteration no. field in join tool ?

Labels