Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join back Summarized columns to horizontal dataset

csh8428
11 - Bolide

I have a data set that is summarized by month, categorie, and sub-category. I have another data set that is a summary of ONE category by month. I can't figure out how to transpose the summarized data and join it back to the original data set.

In the example I'm trying to join "Sum_VGC Fees" to be a value along with the corresponding amount.

2019-10-31_10-46-50.png

I'm trying to get it to look like this:

2019-10-31_10-57-48.png

Thanks for your help!!

Craig

4 REPLIES 4
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I had a suggestion, but jumped the gun. I missed that your blending with other fields. I'll have something for you in a couple of minutes.

Edit: Here's a solution. Pretty much what @benakesh said...

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @csh8428 ,

I think union is required here instead of join tool . 

1) Create  category , sub category  using formula tool  for  2nd data set   and  keep  column order same as main data .

2) Union with auto config  by position 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @csh8428.

Hopefully this is what you're looking for? It's a union you need rather than a join since the tables need to be stacked vertically rather than horizontally. Assigning the Category before the union will also mean you can use this technique (transpose, select, formula) for more than one category. Creating the category after the join means you can only replace the Null cells with one category value.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

csh8428
11 - Bolide

THANKS!!!!! I was playing around with the transpose tool and couldn't get it to output the way I wanted. I always have problems with that tool

Labels