Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join Tool not working - please help

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Hi All, I'm trying to join two tables (entity and amount - common field) but getting the message below. 

Taxguy03_0-1584565037981.png

I hope someone can help. Data files and the workflow attached. 

3 REPLIES 3
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Taxguy03 - join the two datasets just on Entity column.Capture.PNG 

Looks like not all entities are present in both datasets. In cases like these (un-joined records), you will find them in the L and R outputs of the join tool.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The workflow is running as you configured it - essentially, it is looking for the specific combination of entity and amount in each of the files. Anything from the J output would be records that had the same entity-amount combination. Anything in the R output would be records with entity-amount combinations not in the L input file, and the L output would be the opposite. You want to join by ONLY entity in this case. See attached for the workflow. 

You'll notice some fall out still. This is because some entities in the L input file were not in the R input file and vice versa.

echuong1_0-1584566052973.png

Taxguy03
9 - Comet

Thank you, both. I was basically trying to do a V-look-up between the file. 

I can now see the anticipated result. And understand the logic behind the updated workflow. 

Hope to talk to you all again. 

Labels