Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join Tool - Record on the right side of the input being used twice to match left side

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

I am a newbie in Alteryx community looking for some assistance using Join tool. I am joining two data sets to find "matches" and non-matches. When I joined right and left side, it seems that a record on right side is being used twice to match two separate records on the left side. Left side has two records that are identical (but both need to be there so cannot use unique tool). 

A simple example below:

When I use Join Tool - below was the output under "J"

Right Side Record ID                                                          Left Side Record ID

1                                   Mary Loves Apple                          1.                               Mary Loves Apple                      

1                                   Mary Loves Apple                          2.                               Mary Loves Apple

2                                   John Loves Banana                       3.                               John Loves Banana

The output I would like to see is --

Record ID 2 from left side being "unjoined". 

Is there something I am not doing correctly? Thank you so much for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kkkim 

when you use the join tool, need to take care that the join criteria uniquely identifies AT LEAST one side of the inputs.

Of you have 2 identical inputs on L input and the same 2 identical records on R input, you will have 4 outputs on join tool

dawn 

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @kkkim ,

it seems to be a special kind of Join, sound like "assign entries from right side to the first matching entry of the left side". You could use a macro to solve the problem, but I think you could also use a Join tool (that creates the output you already have), but remove all "matches" but the first.

2021-07-01_08-32-51.jpg

I've attached a sample workflow. Let me know if it works for you.

Bet,

Roland

Labels