Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join Tool Not Matching Exact Matches

EYamada
7 - Meteor

Any reasons a Join Tool may not match exact matches?

I have two files I am trying to join by unique ID fields, both V_String fields.  These ID's contain both numbers and letters, I have manually found several exact matches, but the Join Tool returns 0 records joined.  Any thoughts?

Thank you.

EY

14 REPLIES 14
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Sometimes "white space" can be involved. 

You might try running both fields through a Formula tool using the Trim() function. That will eliminate any trailing/preceding spaces and might be the issue.

EYamada
7 - Meteor

I tried a Trim function, as well as an Uppercase function, even with both in place, I still had 0 records joined.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hard to say without seeing a sample of the data. Is it possible to attach some of the two data sets?

EYamada
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately, not without violating the NDA with the data source.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You might want to open a case with Client Services and have them take a look. They can "look over your shoulder" on a WebEx and try to troubleshoot without you sending any data.

http://www.alteryx.com/support

mandycgray
8 - Asteroid

Hi.  I had this situation come up last week, and discovered it was a case-sensitive issue.  The spelling and whitespace were exact matches, but when we made sure both inputs were in the same upper/lower case, we were successful.

EYamada
7 - Meteor

I tried an Uppercase function, and unfortunately I still had 0 records joined.  I resorted to parsing the unique portion of the field out and joining by the parsed field.  

Thank you for the suggestion. 

EY

EYamada
7 - Meteor

I resorted to parsing the unique portion of the field out and joining by the parsed field.  

Thank you for the suggestion. 

EY

PaulT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Greetings!

I realize you've found a workaround for your issue but thought I would add this.

If there are spaces in your data, it could be that you have a traditional space in one table and a non-breaking space in the other table. Non-breaking spaces look like spaces, but are not actually treated the same as hitting your space bar on your computer. The computer will read it as a character just as any other alphanumeric character, which causes issues. You can create a non-breaking space by holding Alt on your keyboard and hitting 0160.

If you have the time and inclination to give this a test, I would love to hear if it works!

Thanks,

Paul

Labels