Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join/ Overwrite specific fields with other data set, based on criteria

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I am trying to update certain record set a variety of fields- if  the Work_Type field is set as "Contingent" , I want to pull in the Field1, Field2, Field3 from another dataset and replace those fields in the original. In most cases they are blank in Dataset 1. 

The field I am doing the "lookup" on is called UserID in data set 1 and ManagerID in dataset 2. 

For example:

Dataset1

UserIDManagerIDField 1 Field2Field3Worker_Type
123111   Contigent
234222   Contigent
456333   Contigent
789444   Contigent

Dataset2

ManagerIDField 1 Field2Field3
111abcabcabc
222xyzxyzxyz
333bbbbbbbbb
444aaaaaaaaa

Result

UserIDManagerIDField 1 Field2Field3
123444aaaaaaaaa
234222xyzxyzxyz
456333bbbbbbbbb
789111abcabcabc

Any suggestons? I am not having success with the Join or Find Replace tools. 

Thanks.

Adam

3 REPLIES 3
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I assume you can join them on ManagerID... from there, you could use a Select Tool to deselect the original Field 1/2/3 and replace them with those that were joined in from the Manger table. (See attachment)

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I was thinking that approach but I thought it was too simple... :)

However, I only want to replace the values if the Worker Type is a certain value. Would that require a formula to determine which values from the new columns to use? 

OR - should I do that process of just those worker types a different flow and then join it back? 

Adam

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Either approach will work, and I'm not sure which would perform better.  If one does perform better, I'm guessing the difference would be minimal for small datasets (less than around a million rows).

Labels