community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Join Multiple - Inputs out of order

Atom

Hi All,

This is my first post to the community so please feel free to move it to a more appropriated location if this is not.

My question pertains to an issue I am experiencing with the Join Multiple tool.

Upon connection of an input to the tool, that input is assigned a number from 1 to 'x'. The assigned number is determined by the order in which the input is connected. Immediately after connection, prior to running/saving the module, the number an input is assigned corresponds to the order in which it appears in the tool, and consequently the order in which fields are outputted. However, I am experiencing an issue whereby the ordering of the inputs changes after running/saving the module. The number 'mapping' of the inputs is maintained from first connection, it is just the ordering that changes, for example:

At first connection:

Input number - Input

1 - A

2 - B

3 - C

4 - D

5 - E

After running/saving the module:

Input number - Input

5 - E

1 - A

3 - C

2 - B

4 - D

The attached screenshot shows the input ordering post running/saving the module. As you can observe, from left to right, the inputs no longer follow the linear progression they did when first connected (1 -> 2 -> 3 etc).

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It would be great if someone knows what causes this, or even better, has found a solution.

Unfortunately it does not appear the join multiple tool offers the functionality to change the order of inputs, only the order of the fields as per functonality of various other tools (select, join etc).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I have not come across this issue yet.  What version do you use? 

Also, how is this issue negatively affecting your results? I'm unsure how this would change downstream data.

Asteroid

I've experienced this behavior within a macro... the only *fix* I've found is to put a select tool after the JoinMultiple tool and set the order in the select tool.

Pulsar
Pulsar

Yes, I encounter this behavior often as well.  I always us a select tool right before an output tool for this reason.

Labels