Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join 2 tables with specific fields then append?

dsucci
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to join 2 tables lets say

Full nameFirstMiddleLast
John j SmithJohnjSmith
Jane DoeJane Doe
Samuel DoeSamuel Doe

Full NameFirstLastCountryEmail
John SmithJohnSmithUSjsmith@aol.com
Sam DoeSamDoeUSsdoe@aol.com
Jane DoeJaneDoeChinajdoe@aol.com

I'm trying to join these 2 tables together then append the additional fields on the 2nd table to the first so it would look something like

Full NameFirstMiddleLastCountryEmail
John j SmithJohnjSmithUSjsmith@aol.com
Jane DoeJane DoeChinajdoe@aol.com
Samuel DoeSamuel DoeUSsdoe@aol.com

I've tried the find & replace tool but it just seems to pick up on different people with the same last names, and the join tool doesn't pick up on a slightly different first name like Sam and Samuel, any advice is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
JaeLim
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dsucci 

For the join tool to work, you would need to create a common/ same field names from both data source.

For your example, it works when I use the first 3 letters of the full name. 

JaeLim_0-1644528820946.png

Hope this helps!

dsucci
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply JaeLim I appreciate it, and that solution does work to an extent but if what if I run into a solution where the names start with the first 3 letters and the same last name? For Instance Carmen White and Carolyn White. They would technically get matched by this join? Thanks again for your help

JaeLim
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dsucci ,

It will but the join will not work properly if you meet such an example.. its best to first list and understand all the different permutations you may be facing within your example before diving into creating a solution. 

For now, I have created a solution that will meet that specific problem though, please see attached workflow. 

Labels