Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JSON not read

KaiLarsen
9 - Comet

Hi!

I'm having some trouble reading in what seems like standard and commonly used JSON files from Kaggle. 

"ConvError: Input Data (9): Error message: The document is empty. at character position: 0"

I tried a couple of solutions on this board, but no luck.

Kai :-)

5 REPLIES 5
MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @KaiLarsen,

As the .json files you are reading are encoded in UTF-8, you'll need to set your Code Page setting in the Input Data tool appropriately. This should get you moving!

2018-07-26_10-38-12.png

Since your input is being read as JSON directly, you likely won't need the JSON Parse tool (if you were reading your .json file in as a raw text file, this is when you would need something like that). Once you've got the data in you can begin to manipulate it. I found a good post that illustrates how to take the data and convert it into a more tabular format with an example if you're interested as well!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/parsing-JSON/m-p/159649

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
KaiLarsen
9 - Comet

Sigh...it's the details that get one.

You rock, Mike! Thanks!

irisp
5 - Atom

Just want to suggest a tool , if you are working with JSON a lot. this tool is helping me for validating and formating JSON data.

JSON Formatter

JohnR
7 - Meteor

Thanks +1

JKFoil
7 - Meteor

Thank you Mike. helped me a lot

Labels