Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JSON Parse tool is not working

nazrin_guliyeva
7 - Meteor

I am fetching data using Python Tool and writing it to the dataframe. Some of the fields are in JSON format

nazring_2-1596530341156.png

which I need to normalize. For this, I am using Formula Tool to remove first and last square brackets ([]). However, when I am using Parse Tool, I am not getting anything as in the screenshot. 

nazring_0-1596530170188.png

My workflow is as following:

nazring_1-1596530201070.png

I have uploaded the results before formula tool as well. 

Any helps would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
kumaranvr1984
8 - Asteroid

Hi @nazrin_guliyeva ,

Try the attached workflow, the json parse takes double quote.

Regards,

Kumaran 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @nazrin_guliyeva ,

If you are exporting a python Dictionary (Which does look a lot like a JSON), that would explain why Alteryx isn't seeing it as a valid JSON string.

What you could do in your python output is to convert the dictionary to a JSON string using the dumps() function from the JSON module within python. The JSON conversion in python will be much more performant than the string operation to replace the ' with " and you wont have to consider handling issues where ' is in the contents of the JSON values.

See below code snippet from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26745519/converting-dictionary-to-json

import json

r = {'is_claimed': 'True', 'rating': 3.5} #Sample python dictionary
type(r) #Output dict
r = json.dumps(r)
type(r) #Output str

By using json.dumps() function in your python code itself will fix the issue of single quote and will parse your json output.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @nazrin_guliyeva , if the issue is resolved kindly mark the post as solved so that it can help other users as well.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Labels