Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JSON Output

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

I pulling a lot of data from an API.  When I parse out the response I get something like:

col1     col2

name1 val1

name2 val2 

I would like to output the response as a json file structured like this: 

[

{record}, 

{record},

{record}, 

]

and each record is a dictionary formatted like this:

{'name1':val1,'name2':val2, 'name3': val3,.....}

where val could be a string, list, number, null, or dictionary

Any help with this would be appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Drussek
9 - Comet

Not sure how you recognize a record.In my solution I've added additional column with record id.

Drussek_0-1632261888206.png

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for helping.  So, recognizing a record is no issue because of how the response is, I can just group them in the same way you did (ex: it'll have something like data.# in the beginning and I can just parse out and group by the #).

Right now I am testing out your solution with a subset of the data.  One concern I have is the utilization of the summary tool.  I may have too much data for it all to fit into one cell.  Is there a way I can achieve the same functionality using the output tool?

Just to explain a little further...

I have done up to the point where each record is in its own row in a column called JSON, like this:

JSON

{record1}

{record2}

{record3}

Is there a way I can output it as a JSON organized like I mentioned before? (without putting them in one cell)

Drussek
9 - Comet

@iwilliamslook at this:

Drussek_0-1632387658090.png

If you would add coma to every JSON and "[" as first row and "]" as the last one you can write it as csv and it should have desired format without Summary tool:

Drussek_1-1632387814148.pngDrussek_2-1632387838332.png

Drussek
9 - Comet

And just a small patch to my solution 🙂

Use rather Multi row formula just to add coma to every row but except the last one.

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I ended up finding an alternative solution that was close enough to what I needed.  Once I had the data in this from:

JSON

{record1}

{record2}

{record3}

I could output the data as a JSON with page code as UTF-8.  

Drussek
9 - Comet

@iwilliamshehe replied only me. I've given you ready solution but you marked your .... sth.

Don't wish you best

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

@Drussek I ran into some issues last week with this workflow, so I didn't have time to try out your solution and ended up finding my own.  I have some deadlines to meet with this workflow and I knew I probably would not get a chance to try your solution until next week, so I decided to at least explain what I did in case someone else was attempting to do the same thing.  I still intend to try out your solution and will accept as a solution if it works for what I was trying to do.  I just need some time in order to do that.  Sorry if I offended you, your help was appreciated

iwilliams
8 - Asteroid

some small changes I made to your patched solution:

checked "Set a Specific Output Order" in the Union tools

changed the output file extension from .txt to .json

made the delimiter of the output \0

Labels