Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Iterative macro not summing correctly - please help!

michaelc95
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I have created an iterative macro (attached: "iterative macro") in order to calculate payments for staff. To do this calculation, I need to sum three columns together - [KE: Actual Weekly Gross] + [AWE Allowances] + [MZ]. These three fields sum to the field [NA (AWE)]. Once [NA (AWE)] is calculated, the prior 52 values of this entry are summed to create the field [KN].

The value for [MZ] is variable, whilst [KE: Actual Weekly Gross] and [AWE Allowances] is fixed (coming straight from the raw data file - "v5.0 main - interim results". As [MZ] is variable, and [NA (AWE)] is calculated based off prior entries, this needs to be an iterative macro. Now this is where it gets interesting..

The sum for [NA (AWE)] computes fine, however when I try and do the sum function for [KN], it computes accurately at first, however eventually starts creating variances from what is expected. 

I suspect this is being by [MZ] being computed a number of times in the macro (and hence in the final output being wrong), however I am not sure.

If anyone could please help, that would be much appreciated!

I have attached the following:

• main workflow.yxmd - this is the overarching flow 
  • iterative macro.yxmc - this is the iterative macro
  • v5.0 main - interim results.xlsx - this is the raw data feeding the macro
  • 00533283.3.xlsx - this is the output file produced.

michaelc95_0-1618977322831.png

Note, I have annotated the output excel file showing a manual comparison for what should be output and also the variance between expected and actual results.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@michaelc95 
I think this may relate to the floading error and trying to find a way.

But can you check your input and output data, since it appears that the MZ column are different.

michaelc95
5 - Atom

@Qiu can you please explain the floading error.

That is correct, they are different - in the input data MZ is zero. However throughout the iterative macro, this value gets updated to produce the output data. 

For each row of MZ, i only need it to be calculated once (the one time the row is output). At the moment I think MZ is being calculated and overwritten multiple times prior to output.

Any solutions/ideas would be much appreciated.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@michaelc95 
Let me check again how the "MZ" is caculated in your workflow and get back to you. 😁

Labels