community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Iterative macro and API Download errors

Meteor

Hello Community members!

I have noticed something odd with the Iterative macro and download tool which I am hoping someone can help me understand. 

We have an iterative macro which calls an API. Sometimes the API call fails ('Error transferring data: SSL connect error') and doesn't download the data. But then, rather than re-run the URL through another iteration to download the data the iteration stops and the batch macro that precedes it just runs the next URL/API call in the list. It would seem as though we can conclude that if the download tool fails in an iterative macro then the API call is not made and the data is not downloaded. However, if the API call fails on anything other than the 1st iteration it re-runs the iteration and the failed API call is re-made and the data is downloaded. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Thank you !

Laura

SnipImage.JPG

Nebula
Nebula

Hi @LauraMendes 

I can't be certain, but the difference in behaviour could be caused by the "only return valid data..." Filter tool that you're using.  The 'Error transferring data: SSL connect error' probably triggers the False path on this filter, whereas the errors that occur in subsequent iterations exit the True path.  That's assuming of course that output of the "Exclude Fields" select is routed to iterative macro output. 

Can you possibly provide some more details?

Dan

Highlighted
Meteor

Hi Dan

Thanks so much for your response. I think the download tool stops processing once it errors (this post seems to confirm this;

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Download-tool-Do-not-stop-on-error/td-...). If this is true nothing will come out of the T/F in the 'exclude fields' filter. We can also see this in the message log file we get from the workflow. In the attached the green rows error-ed on the 2nd iteration and so continued to process the API call until there wasn't any downloaded data. However, the subsequent errors, error-ed on the 1st iteration and then stopped completely - the message tool did not process any further messages. 

So it seems that the iteration tool is inconsistently running/failing depending on the number of iterations. We also cannot reproduce the error.

Hope that is useful information

Laura

Nebula
Nebula

Hi @LauraMendes 

Can you provide a translation key mapping the tools in your image to the tool numbers in your excel file?  

Thanks

Dan

Meteor

HI Dan

I have mapped them as below - hopefully this helps? Since posting we have discovered that it only fails if the error happens in the first Iteration (Iteration 0). If it happens in any subsequent iterations the API call is re-run until it is successful

Thank you 

Laura

MappingIterationMacro.png

Labels