Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative approach to create points from multiple X,Y coordinate columns

TR
8 - Asteroid

Hey Friends,

Feeling a bit rusty here and looking for suggestions on how to tackle this logic.

I have a table with the following columns (item_01 - item_25):

RecordIDitem_01_latitem_01_lonitem_01_nameitem_01_typeitem_02_latitem_02_lonitem_02_nameitem_02_typeitem_02_other

My intent is to create the following (removing the unnecessary x,y columns and creating points via [ST_CreatePoint(x,y)]:

RecordIDitem_01_ptitem_01_nameitem_01_typeitem_02_ptitem_02_nameitem_02_typeitem_02_other

The consistent table schema includes column names item_xx_lat and item_xx_lon (where x = 01 to 25). I believe the best approach would be to create an iterative macro but not quite sure how to account for the changing column names and inconsistent column counts for each item_xx_.

Thank you in advance as I knock the dust off... 

5 REPLIES 5
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

The inconsistency of fields might be a problem, for ease I would suggest 

Input File > Formula (25 expressions, 1 for each point you want to create) > Select tool to drop the lat, long and other columns that you don't need.

Because it's really only 1 formula tool, I think it would be more work to get the macro setup and working.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TR ,

Here is an example showing how to automatically do it. The idea was to create a row for each lat, lon to create the spatial point and, from there, to recreate your dataset once again.

fmvizcaino_0-1594345256694.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

TR
8 - Asteroid

Hi @fmvizcaino,

That is sooo close, thank you! In your final Browse you create a 'item_01_other' which is not an existing column from the initial Text Input. When I run 50+ columns with the logic I create improperly named columns.

After Transpose(10) and before/during where you recreate the headers in Formula(11) may be the spot to tweak? Maybe removing any Null records in the Value column?

Thanks,

Todd

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TR ,

That is correct! I altered the workflow and inserted that additional condition.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks. Just a couple more steps necessary to complete this:

Next, we have to add a Union after the Join(18) and include the records from the output of the right join. Resort on the Select(19) tool and it works perfectly.

I'm inputting 50 locations with/without x,y,z coordinates with varying attributes for each location. The workflow, with the current test data gets me to a point where I have to go back and create more spatial data with attributes to test further. Thank you for your help, especially with the Transform and Transpose. For years they seemed to be my kryptonite, hahaha.

Have a great weekend!

Todd 

Labels