Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative Macro or Batch Macro

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I'm interested in learning in if anyone can help me create a macro to move an entire row up by one row within the attached workbook. I have no experience in building a macro so this task is quite challenging for me. Basically, the workbook "Entity 1" is the original data that requires some cleanups. What I'm trying to do is move the entire row starting on row B19: U19 to C18. Please see the attached workbook " Result" - this illustrates what I wanted the workflow would generate something like this. 

I actually was able to use the Multi row Formula tool to move the row to a specific cell. However, there are way too many columns in the "Entity 1" and this was not efficient and too manual to write down the code for each "Multi row Formula" tool . I'm wondering if anyone can help me build a macro in which I only need to use the Multi row Formula once and the workflow would repeat the same process until done. Thank you so much in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think that I was able to tackle this by moving the values from the first two columns rather than the other way around which would have needed formulas for all of the other columns. Take a look at the workflow attached and let me know if it solves your problem!

solution.png

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brandon! Thanks for your attempt! That's great. I actually thought of creating a workflow like this as well. However, I guess my main point in this discussion is to learn more about building a macro in Alteryx. I was just thinking of a scenario in which I may not have only two columns to move down but a handful of columns , then what would be a good solution to this case? I'm interested in learning some sort of macros specifically built for this problem so that I can apply that going forward. Thanks for your try! It is an awesome workflow.

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

@BrandonB forgot to mention you in the first reply.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Wynn macros can be very useful I just didn't think it was the most effective for this exercise. Even with more columns, I probably would have taken a transpose, formula, then crosstab back approach. 

Grzegorz
7 - Meteor

Hi guys,

can you recommend any training on macros? For beginners.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Grzegorz 

Here are two good training videos as a starting point: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Build-Your-First-Batch-Macro/td-p/52900 - Build your first batch macro

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Build-Your-First-Iterative-Macro/td-p/55565 - Build your first iterative macro

Labels