Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative Macro limitation

alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

I am trying to set up an iterative macro from a workflow which I have manually copy and pasted several rounds of the same repeating units:

SUMMARIZE - group by to get the total value for a reapeating date

JOIN - bring in this total

FORMULA - to divide the value for each row by its total value

The data looks something like this:

Date                          Value           Total Value (from Summarise)    New Fraction (from Formula)

12.02.03                         1                5                                                 1/5

12.02.03                         2                5                                                 2/5

12.02.03                         2                5                                                 2/5

15.02.03                         1                6                                                 1/6

15.02.03                         2                6                                                 2/6 

15.02.03                         3                6                                                 3/6

The new fraction becomes the inital Value and the process is repeated, creating a new Total Value. The reasoning behind using this type of macro over other is that the calcultion in the formula should be done on a row by row basis but it seems like you cannot extract the total values - as the iterative flows through one row at a time, how would you go about setting up this repeting workflow?

Finally there last step is to filter out thosee values that total=6.

Cheers,

Alexandra

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you explain the termination point.

The second iteration would seem to be 0.2, 0.4, 0.4 for the 12-Feb

The total on the second iteration must be 1 so it would keep repeating?

alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

Yes, the values for the 12th would remain in the iteration loop. The termination is not too important because we are flexible to go either way reaching total of 6 as a condition or have a constant iteration number of 20 for example.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can use a filter to remove those that had a total of 6 at each pass. 

I think however that as defined this will lock onto a total of 1 for each day (which wasnt 6 to start with) after first iteration then just keep repeating until the max iterations is met (20).

Have attached a sample macro and workflow doing what you described. It will iterate 20 times and if not converged add the results after 20 steps onto the output.

alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

Thank you James, it is a relief that my workflow looks identical to yours but somehow the results are not coming through the removed side and it is most likely the naming. I also did not know where you could specify the condition for the number of iterations.

Cheers,

Alexandra

Labels