Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative Macro help - Joining by field Lengths

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

I just started scratching the surface of using macros and am trying to figure out how to best create an iterative macro where I take my join keys and . . .

1. Start with a length of 8 or LEFT([fieldname], 8) with my data on the left anchor
  2. Join it to an already predefined length of 8 field (LEFT[fieldname], 8) on my right Anchor
  3. What doesn't match on the left Anchor is then truncated to a length of 7 or LEFT([fieldname], 7) then joined to a predefined length of 7 field on the right anchor
  4. These steps are repeated until the field length is 2, these leftovers are joined one last time and if there still some stragglers not joined they are then sent off to a browse tool for review while all the matches are then stacked (union) together. 

The image below provides an idea of what I'm doing currently and I think an iterative macro may best suit.  The issue I'm facing is figuring out the proper setup, have the macro iterate down and when iterating through to say a length of 8, 6, or 2, it joins based on the predefined 8, 6, or 2 length fields on the right anchor.

Any assistance with an example how to best set that up would be awesome and thanks again!

Current process learning to convert to iterative macroCurrent process learning to convert to iterative macro

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jmstampe 

Could you please provide some sample data to build the macro? Just to test it.

Cheers,

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

Sure, here is a some mock up dummy data that may assist.

Left Anchor would be something like this:

Hier
ABC
ABCD
ABCDEFGH
123ABC
123XYZ
890ABC
567QRSTU
5551234A
TUVWXYZ1

While the Right Side I create predefined length fields using the LEFT formula like this:

HierHier8Hier7Hier6Hier5Hier4Hier3Hier2
ABABABABABABABAB
ABCDABCDABCDABCDABCDABCDABCAB
ABCDEFGHABCDEFGHABCDEFGABCDEFABCDEABCDABCAB
123ABC123ABC123ABC123ABC123AB123A12312
123XYZ123XYZ123XYZ123XYZ123XY123X12312
890ABC890ABC890ABC890ABC890AB890A89089
567QRSTU567QRSTU567QRST567QRS567QR567Q56756
TUVWXTUVWXTUVWXTUVWXTUVWXTUVWTUVTU

So with the data you can see that I'm scaling back the data points to try and match most if not all combinations on my left side to the right.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jmstampe 

Does this work for you?

IterativeMacro.PNG

This is the iterative macro. This works if String Field (Hier) has max length of 8. If you need to do it for a larger field, change your inputs to have a larger string size (you can even put Select Tool before the Formula Tool).

The L Output is the Left Join final output of your workflow. The J output is the Union result Output.

See package (workflow and macro appended).

If you have any doubts let me know.

Cheers,

jmstampe
8 - Asteroid

Ah that is awesome!  I was on the right track but I just couldn't figure out the proper implementation of the iteration number field with the backwards counting and how it also ties with the Hier length.  Thank you so much!

Labels