Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative Macro for Variable Input path items

ChrisRoubik
5 - Atom

Hi all,

Struggling mightily with this one. I've been looped into a team with the following issue: the team is sent 10 files from 10 different teams throughout the day; the files are then consolidated and formatted. The final output cannot be produced until all 10 teams send in their files. Some teams send their file at 1pm, some teams send their file at 6pm - this causes the following issue - if team A uploads their file at 1pm and team B is the last to upload at 6pm, the process begins running at 6pm. If there is an issue in team A's file, it won't be discovered until after 6pm and that team may have left for the day.

The teams will have access to the same file path to dump the input file

I'm looking to build an iterative macro that is constantly (maybe every 10 minutes?) checking the file path and asking "Is FileA in?, Is FileB in" etc. This would loop until the answer is yes and at that point each file will have to pass certain criteria to be deemed valid. If it's not valid an email will be sent to the team saying "Your file is bad, you need to fix it and upload again." I will then use a "Block Until Done" tool to hold the workflow until all 10 files have been added to the file path correctly - at which point it can format everything and produce my output.

Once I can get the files into the workflow the rest is simple - but I'm REALLY struggling on how to create that iterative loop linked to a file path.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Chris Roubik

2 REPLIES 2
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @ChrisRoubik ,

The wf with  logic  to  check  validity of  files  can be scheduled  on server to run  every  x  mins  .  This  process  can email  if  files  are invalid .   This  wf  can  also  process  all  files  after  confirming last file  is  good  .  

ChrisRoubik
5 - Atom

Thank you so much @benakesh! I'll test this out tomorrow when I'm back at the office but this seems like a great solution

Labels