Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Iteration moving through one dataset while altering another

DanFountain
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx so please be gentle.

I have been playing about a for a bit now and I get the general idea.  I have made some macros which are great.

I am now looking at iterative macros - which I get the general idea of.  However I have a dataset that i wish to iterate through - which i think I have got working.  However each iteration will modify data in different input/output stream (not the iterating one). 

My thoughts are that as this DataStream is not the iterating one it will therefore get a new copy of the input each time and clear the work that the iteration has completed.  Am I correct?  Is there a way to avoid this?  Also - will the output of this data stream output at every completed iteration?

Many thanks for helping a newbie!

Dan

2 REPLIES 2
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

I haven't used many iterating macros, but I think each time they run each row should be either output from the macro or iterated.  If they are output the first time they won't be included in the following iteration so won't be output again.  You don't have to output as you go along though, you could set up the macro to iterate all rows every time until they're all done, then output them all together at the end.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @DanFountain 

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to a case where there are 2 (or more) Macro inputs, only 1 is iterative and the other is (are) static input(s)?
This is entirely do-able. 

You can define which input is iterative and which is not. Attached a simple example here where the macro takes 2 inputs: one is seed (1) and one is terminating value (1,000). The seed doubles after every iteration until it exceeds then terminating value then the macro stops.

Hope it helps.

Dawn. 

Labels