Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterate through data to send multiple PDFs

superjesse
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I'm trying to send multiple PDFs to different people. I basically have a file with name and other data points, and I want to send a standard PDF to each person with their name and other data inserted into the PDF dynamically. I have about 30 people so I would send out 30 PDFs.

I searched on the community but could not find the solution yet, or it's above my skillset at this point (I'm a rookie). I just basically need some sort of loop to create the 30 PDFs and insert their name, market, etc. into each PDF. I tried with the reporting tool and it worked for the first one, so just need it to loop now.

I attached a screenshot since the data is sensitive. Please let me know if this will suffice. And thanks in advance. This community is very helpful.

Capture.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@superjesse You want to group the data into separate reports in the render tool. There is a checkbox option for this:

render into multiple files.PNG

You can use a field in your data to define the grouping for each file. Looks like that it may be the text field you're creating in the report text tool. In this case you could replace the filename with the grouping field and each filename would be unique.

Are you planning to use alteryx to send the pdfs via email? if so there's a few more steps you'd have to consider, but you didn't specify distribution method.

Good luck!

superjesse
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the quick response. I will give this a try today. Yes, we want to distribute via email. You mentioned there may be a couple extra steps. I would appreciate any more guidance.

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

this is a good walkthrough of how to attach different files:

Community article

superjesse
8 - Asteroid

Ok, I had some time this evening to try this. I got it to work thanks to your response(I appreciate it), but I wasn't able to use the visual layout tool at all really. That only shows one record.

I attached some dummy data in a workflow for you. The question is how do I set up the PDF before its sent out(thought I would use the visual layout tool for this). Am I limited only to the regular layout tool?

jsdn14
7 - Meteor

R-Are you planning to use alteryx to send the pdfs via email? if so there's a few more steps you'd have to consider, but you didn't specify distribution method.

Im planning to do this but with pdfs generated outside of alteryx, can you help me?

vrodage
6 - Meteoroid

Did you manage to get this working with visual layout tool?  I have similar requirement. i.e. generate PDF document for the each record in the source data.

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

It's my understanding that as of now, the visual layout tool does not support grouped elements or elements containing multiple records.

That said, I guess you could create an iterative macro with the visual layout tool inside of it to handle one grouping at a time and either pass out to a render or contain the render inside the macro. 

Would have to test though.

vrodage
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Neil. I tried putting visual layout and render tool in the macro. It generates 3 outputs for 3 records in the source, however all outputs have data of only 1st record,

I suspect "update value" tool is not updating recordid in the macro.

Would you know what would be the reason? 

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

can you attach your workflow? that's always the best route to troubleshoot.

Labels