Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issues with float variable in Alteryx incorrectly transforming my numbers

Tiffany01
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have a few numbers that incorrectly transform in Alteryx. I want to keep the original value that was written in Excel, but Ateryx looses my decimal places when I change the variable to the float data type. All of my other numbers transformed correctly, however they were not 3 decimal places and less than 1. 

# in excel          # initially in Alteryx         # after change to float data type

.003                        3.0000..01-3                                   3

.002                                 2-3                                         2

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm unable to exactly simulate the outcome. Would be able to share a sample data and your workflow.

Regards

Benn 

Tiffany01
5 - Atom

All of my data is correct except for a couple lines of data.

Essentially I noticed, if  I have a number in Excel that is less than 1, such as ".002" Alteryx converts it to "2."

Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Tiffany01 ,

That is never the case. If you could share some sample data in excel and the workflow you are using, either I or someone from this community should be able to troubleshoot the cause.

@RobertOdera Any idea  on this?

Regards

Benn

Tiffany01
5 - Atom

So while trying to create the test data, I realized that before I converted the data type to float I cleansed the data from letters. And since the decimal was written in scientific notation it had letters in it, so the cleansing must have gotten written of the letters turning my decimal into a whole number. 

Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

So,

If this is what is causing all trouble and all you need to remove are letters, then in the data cleanse tool uncheck the "Punctuation" option, this will leave all punctuation marks like "." in place and not remove them so your decimal point will remain.

Bennel_Wilson_0-1590093251257.png

Let me know if this works.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sorry, @Bennel_Wilson 

Just seeing this now!

Yes, it always helps is we have a sample or detailed explanation.

A definite way to go if those Cleansing Tool parameters were activated.

Labels