Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issues with Substring search

Krish_Penubarthi
7 - Meteor

Hi.

I need to search for a particular keyword in my string and extract data accordingly. The string is ' ' (space).

Example : If the name column has Robert it should give me Rob and if it has got Dave Paul, i should return DPau. 

I am not able to get the solution for this. 

Also, I need to skip the spaces if any at last as well.

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Can you explain yourself better? Why DPau? Do you have some kind of list for the abbreviation?

Krish_Penubarthi
7 - Meteor

My scenario is that, if the column has single character word, it should extract first 3 characters. If it is a 2 character word, I should display 1st letter of 1st word and 1st 3 of second word.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

The following formula uses the CONTAINS() function to search for a space and parses the names according with what you wanted.

IF !CONTAINS(TRIM([Field1]),' ') THEN Left(TRIM([Field1]),3)
ELSE REGEX_Replace(TRIM([Field1]),'(\w).*?\s(\w{3}).*','$1$2')
ENDIF

As it uses regex, there are some in built assumptions - namely that the field will only ever have 1 space in it, between the first and second word. The TRIM() function removes any trailing or leading white space

Krish_Penubarthi
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot. It worked perfectly.

Labels