Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Issues with Publishing to Tableau Online with TDS file

jvaucher0804
7 - Meteor

Hello! 

Having some issues publishing to Tableau Online using the Publish to Tableau tool. 

I currently can publish to Tableau Server (2020.3.4) via Alteryx Designer (2021.1) with the same .TDS with no issues.

Is there a known issue or a workaround that I need to do with the .TDS file for publishing to Tableau Online?

Thanks so smuch!

Jory

jvaucher0804_0-1616621946570.png

Error: Publish to Tableau Server (8): Tool #252: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Publish file) Error Code 400011: Bad Request -- There was a problem publishing the file '21403:59520b319c10444abc0135237f520b67-0:0'.H

14 REPLIES 14
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @jvaucher0804 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!
I did some looking, and from this How-To Guide, there should be no difference between Tableau Server and Tableau Online with the tool.

However, when looking at a similar post, another workaround was provided:
"The error you are getting is a generic publishing error (https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/rest_api/en-us/REST/rest_api_concepts_errors.htm) coming from Tableau. One thing to try at first is to change any string type field in you data in Alteryx to V_WString. That includes any fields of type String, WString or V_String. Try to publish the data after making those changes. You also may want to try deleting the TDE file (please backup first) that you are likely overwriting. 

This link may be helpful as well: https://tableauandbehold.com/2015/08/06/tableau-rest-api-400-error-response-code-400011/"

Please let me know if the above helps you at all, if not we can keep looking!
Thanks,
TrevorS

Community Moderator
jvaucher0804
7 - Meteor

Hi Trevor,

The issue is publishing with a .tds file. I can publish with no issue without a .tds. But with a .TDS, I'm getting that error.

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@jvaucher0804 
The tool should work with Tableau online and the TDS file.
Please make sure you follow the steps from the help document below.
https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/publish-tableau-server-tool

Additionally, make sure that the tds file is created on Tableau Desktop.

Please let me know if you are still getting the error message after following the help document!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
jvaucher0804
7 - Meteor

@TrevorS 

Yes have followed the instructions and the .TDS file was created in Desktop. Have you tested this yourself? 

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jvaucher0804 ,

We are sorry you are running into these issues. If you are able to contact Alteryx Support we would be happy to help. This might best be addressed by getting on a webex together. There was an existing defect for publishing Hyper files with TDS metadata that was resolved in 20.4 (DE24553) but this looks like the error when doing a TDE with TDS. That can sometimes be caused by how the TDS is created. Other things can cause that error as well, we can certainly help take a closer look. If you decide to contact Support please provide the following:
* Version of Designer where it is not working (including the minor version such as 20.3.x; Can get from Help --> About) 

* Screenshot of the configuration of the tool

* Whether this happens with every workflow with a TDS on that version, or just that one workflow/TDS

We hope we can help resolve this issue for you. In the meantime, there are various code enhancements for Tableau that did go into 20.4, so if you are a heavy user of Tableau connector and are willing to upgrade to 21.1 that might be something to consider. We understand sometimes in large organizations your upgrades are controlled by IT, so you may want to raise that to your team.

Hope this helps,

Sabrina

Sabrina Blanck
Sr. Customer Support Engineer – Connectors SME
Alteryx, Inc.
jvaucher0804
7 - Meteor

Hi @SabrinaCB 

Thanks so much for your response!

I'm currently on 2021.1 for Alteryx and Tableau. It may be issue with Tableau now. But is there anything specific I need to say to ensure I can get a Webex scheduled?

SabrinaCB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jvaucher0804 

Happy to help. You can go ahead and reference this post, that might be helpful. We understand this is important functionality.

Sincerely,

Sabrina

Sabrina Blanck
Sr. Customer Support Engineer – Connectors SME
Alteryx, Inc.

I'm not sure if I understand these posts correctly... It says 'Solved' but I can't find the solution in these messages. I have the exact same issue / same error. It all worked well but since today I receive the error 'Error: Publish to Tableau Server (1): Tool #252: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Publish file) Error Code 400011: Bad Request -- There was a problem publishing the file '26209:fde41e74224d4f97a9462e0b1ba9b156-2:0'.

Version of Tableau Desktop: 2021.1.

Version of Alteryx Designer: 2021.1.1.26400

Hoping someone could help here - lot of people depend on the Tableau dashboards for their day to day work...

sm7746
7 - Meteor

Hi @jvaucher0804,

Has this issue been resolved? If so, can you please share the workaround?

Labels