Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue with passing value from text box to formula

golfingbadly
6 - Meteoroid

Leaning on the solution that was in a previous post got me started (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Passing-a-Text-Box-variable-to-a-Selec...), but I've hit a bit of a blocker and do not understand why as I've checked the configuration to make sure my tools match the original solution.  

My workflow is attached.  What I ultimately want to do is pass user input from the text box to the SCENARIO_NAME column in the formula to then further process.  If I enter a number such as "123", it works.  If I enter letters, which is what I need to enter, I receive the following error:  

Formula (29): Parse Error at char(0): Unknown variable "abc123" (Expression #1)

When I run in debug mode, I notice that quotes aren't around the passed value:

Error.JPG

Is this a bug in the version I'm using, or did I miss a configuration step on the action?  I'm running 2020.2.  

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @golfingbadly,

Please let me know if it starts working. You have missed a ticker at the bottom of the screen. 

Emil_Kos_0-1598888845436.png

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Action tool dictates what is going to be updated. In your case, you'd want the expression value to be updated and you'd select that line in the configuration window.

The value in the text box will update the entire expression by default. In your case, because you're trying to change the string value in the expression, you'd actually need the quotation marks still there. In the bottom click the box to replace a specific string, and only have the word "test" present. This will just replace test, and keep everything else.

Also, in the sample workflow you uploaded you had the scenario wrapped in quotation marks, which is correct. In your screenshot, you'd need to wrap abc123 in quotation marks to read "abc123" 

echuong1_0-1598892234081.png

Hope this helps!

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

good point @echuong1 

I forgot about quotation values. 

golfingbadly
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much, that worked!

Labels