Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue with download data from sftp server via download tool

Georgiy
7 - Meteor

Hi community,

Is there anyone with experience of data injection from sftp?

Have you any idea what the problem could be?

I have a workflow that extracts data from csv file are placed on sftp server.

Original file includes ~28K rows, but Alteryx getting only small amount of them.

Also, will be appreciate if you share your way of getting files from sftp.

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Georgiy 

You may find this article helpful: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Automating-File-Transfer-Protocol-F... 

The process will be the same for SFTP with the exception being the URL

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It is also possible to have the files downloaded as temporary files to then be read in via a Dynamic Input tool

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Georgiy 

The SFTP protocol only allows complete file transfers or you'll see some kind of error message in your download tool.  If you're not getting error messages can you show us an screen shot of where you're seeing incomplete data.  

Note that the results window of any tool other than a browse window will only show a subset of data if the entire dataset is too large.  This is to limit unnecessary memory use.  You can see this in the record count section 

danilang_1-1634387036159.png

This doesn't mean that the data isn't there, only that the the Results window won't show it all.  If you add a browse tool after you can see all the results.

danilang_2-1634387115072.png

Dan

Georgiy
7 - Meteor

@BrandonB works perfect for me with temp files, thanks!

Do you know are there any limitations in this approach? I mean file size or something, lack of performance or something  

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I haven’t had any issues with file size but I haven’t tested massive files to check either. It should be good to go!

Labels