Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Issue with combining quarters

Jkiddin10
6 - Meteoroid

So i have an excel with 12 quarters each separated by sheets. I inputting it into alteryx and summarized each quarter and now i have 12 containers for each quarter. however i want to be able to analyze trends by  combining the data into one but then the data just stacks on top of each other using union and i don't know how to keep the date of the quarter when the containers merge if that makes sense.  The containers on the left are the quarters separated. The data in the excel file doesn't have actual dates on them; only the sheet names define what quarter it is. i thought union would just compile the data but still have them separated by quarter but it doesn't is there any way to accomplish this?

Jkiddin10_0-1634511565473.png

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Jkiddin10 
I assume you want all the 12 sheets to be merged.

We can use some thing simpler.

1018-Jkiddin10.PNG

Jkiddin10
6 - Meteoroid

The thing is, we're barely being introduced to alteryx in class. Is there any way to use the most basic tools to accomplish combining them because I don't have a huge understanding of all the tools or formulas.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Jkiddin10 
In such case. we usually include the full path in the input stream, which you can seperate the Sheet Name and File Name

Qiu_0-1634516494054.png

qasdxx
7 - Meteor

If you don't want to use a batch macro, you will have to input all 12 files manually onto the canvas. Once you have input them all, select the file name (or full path) option within #5 "output file name as field". After you have done this you can union all 12 data sets. If the position of every column is the same, then use by position. If the name is the same, you can use by name. The file name as field selection will separate all the files within the dataset. If you want to output the data, you can check the output option "take file/table name from field". You can then choose output option 3 as overwrite sheet or range or create new sheet. When you run the workflow, your excel file will be divided up into separate tabs by quarter. 

Labels