Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Issue with Google Sheets Authentication from Gallery

csh8428
11 - Bolide

DISCLAIMER: I already posted this in the Server sub, but haven't gotten any traction. So, I figured I'd try here as well.

I am an admin for both the Alteryx Gallery AND the physical server that the Gallery sits on. I can run workflows that have google sheets connectors from the Gallery because I can create and run the workflows in Designer desktop on the physical server to go through the google authentication process.

The issue we are running into is with our other non-server admins. They can create and run workflows with google sheets connectors from their local desktop Designer; however, they cannot run those workflows from the Gallery because they cannot go through the authentication process because they are not admins on the Gallery server.

I know this is not an “Alteryx” issue, but a server related one. Does anybody know of a workaround or a way to “transfer” whatever the google authentication process produces from a user’s local desktop to the server that houses the Gallery so that any user can run a workflow from the gallery that has google sheets connectors in it?

12 REPLIES 12
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @csh8428,

Are you using OAuth 2 or Connection tolken to authenticate? From the sounds of it you need to use the OAuth approache.

All the best,

Ira  

csh8428
11 - Bolide

@IraWatt We don't check either of the "Optional" boxes when authenticating. We just click "connect" and it launches a browser that does the usual google log-in authentication. If I use the "Optional OAth2 Overrides" box I get this:

auth error.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You may have to enable OAth2 on your google sheets Google Sheets - OAth2

csh8428
11 - Bolide

@IraWatt I will have to work with our corporate IT team on that. I don't have permission to do anything tin GCP console.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@IraWatt- for background what @csh8428 is trying to do is browser based authentication on Server. IE - Server passes the SAML token from GoogleSheets to Alteryx back to GoogleSheets in the API call in the Download tool. From an InfoSec standpoint @csh8428 's users do not have passwords and there is no JWT or PAT they have access to in Googlesheets to pass into the Googlesheets tool.

@csh8428does this sound accurate? I haven't given this the time I need to to test/figure out so I'm just following along on your threads...

csh8428
11 - Bolide

@apathetichell I think you got it. What I'm trying to is AVOID or BYPASS the browser-based authentication on the server since users don't have the ability to do that.

Put more simply:

Our users can run workflows with google sheets connectors from their desktop; however, then cannot run the same workflows from the gallery because they cannot go through the authentication process on the server.

Is there a way to copy the information that says "this user authenticated" from a user's desktop to the server? I could do that for them.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@apathetichell If the workflow had the users OAuth tokens would that not work? The workflow would always be able to pass that to get a tolken to access the GoogleSheets  API?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@IraWatt- the issue is how the user gets the token to Alteryx. In  enterprise SSO systems this is done via browser pass through. Users have no control/knowledge of Oauth tokens (or access to create/edit GCP projects etc... I'd expect @csh8428 had to go through InfoSec to even get the API access to gsheets approved)

On Designer this process can be done via externalbrowser (browser based authentication) - @csh8428 is trying to get this to work on Server too. You can test Browser based authentication on gsheets by hitting the connect button in your gsheets tool - it will then connect out to google

csh8428
11 - Bolide

@apathetichell wrote:

On Designer this process can be done via externalbrowser (browser based authentication) - @csh8428 is trying to get this to work on Server too. You can test Browser based authentication on gsheets by hitting the connect button in your gsheets tool - it will then connect out to google

Yep, you got it exactly!

Labels