Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue in interpreting relational operator embedded within String data type

svimal
5 - Atom

Hi team,

I have an Alteryx workflow. The input data (type: String) has an entry as 'Later (≥ 1 Year)'.

When Alteryx reads this, it converts it into 'Later (= 1 Year)'

Please, could you help with how to solve this?

5 REPLIES 5
alexcordero
7 - Meteor

REGEX_Replace([Field1], "≥", ">=") where Field1 is the field that contains your string.  This would format it in the proper way if you need to do any math/sort/gouping in the workflow.

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @svimal ,

I think it's a character conversion issue. Try to set the code page to "Unicode UTF-8", it should be imported correctly then.

Best regards

Roland

alexcordero
7 - Meteor

It comes in as formatted as Later (≥ 1 Year) if you have the data type as V_WString or WString.  These formats accept any character.  String only accepts Latin-1 characters.  is not in the Latin-1 character set.  Then you can do your Regex conversion if still needed.

svimal
5 - Atom

Thank you, everyone, for the valuable suggestions.

The approach that solved this issue for me is checking this box - 

svimal_0-1574098302428.png

My input is from an Oracle DB and I read somewhere that this could be the key and this indeed solve it. I am really not sure so far what this does behind the scenes.

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @svimal ,

this check box enables unicode support. Thus uncode characters in CHAR columns are extracted and transferred to Alteryx as WString or V_WString and not as String/V_String - that means, unicode characters are not corrupted in any way (basically, it's what @alexcordero and me said). 

Best

Roland 

Labels