Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue Identifying Spatial Centroids within a Sequential Polyline Polygon

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I've attached a workflow that does the following:

• Inputs and spatially enables roughly 750 latitude/longitude coordinates
  • Generates a Sequence Polyline polygon from the coordinates
  • Inputs a list of ZIP Codes within CA and spatially enables them based on:
    • POP_CENTROID_LONGITUDE
    • POP_CENTROID_LATITUDE
  • Attempts to identify the centroids (based on latitude/longitude coordinates listed above) intersecting the Sequence Polyline polygon

As you'll see, the workflow doesn't return any matches. In an attempt to troubleshoot, I tested using the GEOM field from ca_zip_codes.yxdb (instead of POP_CENTROID_LONGITUDE/POP_CENTROID_LATITUDE) and the workflow returns 15 ZIP Codes (Note: You'll want to remove the Create Points tool after ca_zip_codes.yxdb before testing for yourself).

Hoping to understand why this is occurring and ultimately be able to identify the POP_CENTROID lat/lon coordinates that fall within the Sequence Polyline polygon. Thanks!

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I don't really understand what you want to get here. You're trying to see where the a line intersects with a points? You get the answer of zero, which is correct. If you want to see how many points intersect with the the area enclosed within that polyline (just re-read your question and I think that is what you want!) then change the build method to Sequence Polygon instead of Sequency Polyline in the poly-build tool and you'll get 4 matches.

Spatial Match - Capture.PNG

dgr2017
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much Philip! Your response made me realize I was looking at a Sequence Polyline as a polygon (e.g. containing the area enclosed within the line) which is incorrect. You're also completely correct, my objective was to identify the points (population centroid lat/lon coordinates) enclosed in that area. Changing to Sequence Polygon solved that for me so much appreciated. Great learning experience. Cheers!

Labels