Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Issue Connecting to the SharePoint List Input

eve_mcg
5 - Atom

I am brand new to Alteryx. I am currently using Designer 10, and connected to a base SharePoint library using the SharePoint List Input tool, but I don't know where to go from here -- I need to dig much deeper into the SharePoint library. (SharePoint version is at least 2010 -- possibly 2013)

For example, when I connect, I can pick up the base Document Library in the "List" dropdown, and the only View I can select is "All Documents - Default." So far so good.

A browse into this shows me the a list of folders, including the first folder I will need to drill into (e.g Layer 1).

However, I will then need to drill down 2 more levels deep to get the appropriate list.

I can get as far as an URL in the format of:

https://share.domain.net/sites/MainDirectory/LibraryName/

If I attempt to identify any folders beyond that, the configuration tool declares it is an invalid directory.

Steps I've tried thus far:

-- removing https and formatting as directory url

-- removing https and trying as an internet url

-- adding escape characters in the URL for HTML formatting

-- NOT using escape characters in the URL

Is there another tool I need to bring in to loop through and pick up the correct list so I can then browse the contents of the correct list that is 2 or 3 levels deeper?

17 REPLIES 17
cajer_air
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jason,

I tried your method. I'm trying to read an Excel file in our SharePoint. But it still doesn't work for me. Then I tried Directory tool. Still doesn't work.

Do you have any clue for any solution? Thank you!connect to sharepoint file.PNG

GGuenther
7 - Meteor
My only other suggestion is to try the dynamic input tool. It also maybe an issue with SharePoint needing your username and password.
cajer_air
6 - Meteoroid

I used Dynamic Input tool. No problem popup. Although in its data source edit, I can preview the data, the tool shows "no sheet specified" after running.

I don't know if Dynamic Input only works with .csv files.

connect to sharepoint file.png

Jared_Durer
7 - Meteor

I have run into this issue before. Try changing your FullPath field and add the sheet name to the end after 3 pipes ( ||| )

Capture.PNG

AELLYSON
5 - Atom

Can you supply some more details on how you were able to successfully do this? I have tried a wide variety of solutions to pull csv files from sharepoint and have not had success with any. 

NEHA_DULANI
5 - Atom

Hi Jason,

There are couple of questions.

I want to establish connection from Alteryx to SharePoint. Can alteryx read the data stored in SharePoint list only. Can we store docs in Document Library and then alteryx can fetch the corresponding data.

I am storing excel files in sharepoint list and using Sharepoint List Input Tool to bring in the data in alteryx. I cannot see the attachment associated with that item. I want to read in the contents of that item. As of now only metadata is coming as output of the SharePoint List Input Tool.

Please suggest on above query. 

AndrewK
7 - Meteor

Hello @dataMack

If we do need to find items in a sub-folder is there a way to do that? We have a list of files stored in document libraries. When I use the sharepoint list input tool I caa only find a list of sub-folder, not the actual items in said sub folders. 

Thank you,

Andrew

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @AndrewK,

You can use a directory tool in conjunction with a dynamic input. One caveat with this method though is making sure all sheets you want are in the same schema (same columns, same format, etc.). If this is not case, you would need a macro to ensure you can pull each file ignoring those issues.

I have attached a sample workflow that pulls files from my desktop in a dynamic input. To change the example to fit your need, you will need to change the directory tool to point at your SharePoint and then also use a template file in the dynamic input as well. 

Labels