Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

IsNumber does not seem to work in Alteryx 10.5

mpurdy
8 - Asteroid

Just wondering if someone else could test this as it doesn't appear to be working for me in 10.5? It used to work for Strings (when a integer was formatted as a string) but now it only appears to work for Numbers (when formatted as numbers). Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

IsNumber() will be true for numeric types.  IsInteger() may be what your looking for: that will assess the value rather than the type.

(http://help.alteryx.com/10.5/Reference/Functions.htm#Test)

mpurdy
8 - Asteroid

Thanks. You are right the definition has changed for IsNumber from 10 to 10.5:

10 = ISNumber(v) Tests if v is a number or not.

10.5 = ISNumber(v) Tests if the field type for v is a number or not.

Have to be careful upgrading! Seems a bit concerning when a function's definition changes so much between releases! I will use IsInteger instead. Thank you again for your help.

Jean_F
6 - Meteoroid

I have to say this clarification was quite helpfull. But how to test if a a String contains a number (which isn't an integer) in Alteryx 10.5 ?

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Not at my computer to test this, but one idea is to try converting the string to a number, then back to string, and seeing if the result matches the original string... e.g. [field]==ToString(ToNumber([field]))

The theory here is ToNumber will truncate the first non-numeric character and anything following, but it might still work for decimals.

Jean_F
6 - Meteoroid

ToNumber() returns 0 if the field contains no numeric value. So if I use it to test if the field contains or not a number, the result will always be true.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
IIF(ToString(ToNumber([field]))==[field],1,0)

This expression converts and tests to see if a string converted to a number and then converted back to a string is the same result.  If it is, then the original value was a number.

$123 won't be a number.

123,456 won't be a number.

123.45.5 won't be a number.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jean_F
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your answer.

That works partially:

- for the values like 19.84, that works

- for the values like 110.0, that doesn't work.

> I tried to delete the dot in the field (replace(field,".","")) but I still have the issue... Any help to fixe this would be quite welcome!!!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
IIF(tostring(tonumber([field]))==regex_replace([field],"(.*)([.]0{1,2})",'$1'),1,0)

Give that a whirl....

123.0 and 123.00 will equate to 123 now.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

How about

REGEX_Match([Field1], '\d*\.{0,1}\d+')

# explanation
 \d       match a digit...
 *        zero or more times
 \.       match literal dot...
{0,1} zero or one time \d match a digit... + one or more times

This produces the following result:

regex out.png