Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there any way to access the individual fields once you've used a "Basic Table" tool?

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Once I use the basic table tool, I can't seem to access any of the fields in that table. For example, my table has a column that indicates when the original dataset was created and the person that created it. As soon as I pass the data into a "Basic Table" tool, I cannot seem to use those individual fields anymore. I wanted to use the "Report Text" tool to add a title, and then reference when the dataset was created and by whom, but I cannot access those fields to enter it.

I've attached a simplified version of my workflow. This is a much simpler version of my real dataset, so I realize in this version I could just take the persons name and hardcode it into the Report Text tool, but ultimately I will be creating an analytic app, and the dataset will change, and the user won't really know how to update that hardcoded value, so I really need it to just pull from those fields in the table.

Thank you in advance.

-Adam

4 REPLIES 4
Inactive User
Not applicable

Correct - it creates the table output. Take a report text stream from that initial stream, create your title details and then append that to the table stream. Then use a layout tool, vertical layout and put the text over top the table.

ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Thanks Ryan. Append using which tool? Union?

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Build your report text stream together and then merge it with your table via a join, you can then stitch the elements together using the layout tools.

Ben
ajr2183
7 - Meteor

Thanks again Ben,

Sorry, I think I forgot to mention that I am using a process to output to multiple worksheets in the same workbook. I split my main table into two tables, filtered on the "Tax Status" column, then I create a Basic Table, then add a Formula tool to add a "Sheetname" column. This is then unioned together, then using the Layout tool, I use Layout Mode = Each Group of Records, using "Sheetname", etc...

If I read your suggestion correctly (which I very well could be misunderstanding), it looks like I would need the Layout Mode to be "Each Individual Record", however I cannot do that if I want to output to multiple sheets.

Am I misunderstanding? Is this still possible given the output to multiple sheets scenario?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

UpdateUsernameDateWorkflow.png

Labels