Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is there a way to replace all X's in a row with what is listed in a specific column

rmartori
8 - Asteroid

I will provide a simplified example below but there are two things I need to do I am trying to figure out.

DEFGHIJ
   John SmithBob RobertsonJoni JohansonSirius SamSusan Anthonu
2Answers      

A - Yes

X   X
4B - No   X  
5C - Maybe  X   
6No Answer    X 

So Basically the two things I need to accomplish is first replace all of the X's in each row with the corresponding answer in Column D.

Second I need to basically Transpose and collapse everything from F onwards so I am left with

NamesAnswers
John SmithA - Yes
Bob RobertsonC - Maybe
Joni JohansonB - No
Sirius SamNo Answer
Susan AnthonuA - Yes
5 REPLIES 5
bpatel
Alteryx
Alteryx

hi @rmartori ,

i mocked up a workflow that hopefully helps!

bpatel_0-1594141742081.png

MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @rmartori,

See the attached workflow.

I used the Multi-field formula to do the reassignment and then transposed and filtered the data to your desired result. 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @rmartori,

I took a slightly different approach to @bpatel with just one transpose doing the heavy lifting.

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1594142479941.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

rmartori
8 - Asteroid

Thank you MichaelLaRose,

The reassign one worked great.

Followup question, Would it be possible to do this with multiple sheets at once?

So one excel file and have like Sheet1 sheet2 sheet3 etc? and the output be effectively the same and keep doing that till it runs out of sheets?

MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

I don't see why not.

If you use a dynamic input tool to pull all of the records from each sheet so you should be able to.

If the sheets have a different field structure you may need to batch the macro and be a little creative with the output to make sure it doesn't throw an error.

Would you mark an accepted solution on this post? You can mark multiple if others were also things that would work for you.

Best,

Michael

Labels