Inspire EMEA 2022 On-Demand is live! Watch now, and be sure to save the date for Inspire 2023 in Las Vegas next May.

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer and Intelligence Suite.

Is there a limit to the number of Macro Input and Macro Output tools within a Macro?

JonathanAllenby
8 - Asteroid

Until today I'd assumed there would be a limit to how many inputs and outputs you can mash into a single Macro. However I've just spent a few minutes experimenting and reached about 20 inputs and outputs for a single Macro. The resulting tool's anchors are practically unusable since they stack on top of each other but are indeed theoretically usable if you could carefully connect to each one.

Rather than spend the rest of my day trying to determine if there is a cap at some point, I figured I'd ask and see if anyone here knows?

I can't find any reference to a hard cap in any documentation but surely it must limit people from adding infinite inputs and outputs to a single tool.

2 REPLIES 2
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

As far as I know there is no limit to them but as you said, having a big number of them makes the macro unusuable. I would recommend you to use another method or think to solve the problem otherwise, like using dynamic inputs or the directory tool.

Regards!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

No (Y)

I'm sure @Balders will be willing to build us a demo on this...

If the input and output anchors become unruly then you can always use the 'view possible connections' option available when right-clicking on the tool.

But as the above poster says; if you find yourself doing this... then there are probably better ways to approach the problem.

Labels