Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it possible to update the filename in multiple Output Data Tools at once?

AbiAtWork
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have searched far and wide so please forgive if this has been answered.

I have a workflow that outputs to 6 tabs in the same Excel spreadsheet.  Every time I run it I have to update the "write to file or database" window for all 6 Output Data tools.  Is it possible to assign a variable as the file name for each output data tool so I can update the variable which would update them all?  The new file name cannot be derived from a column in the input files so I cannot grab it from there.  Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks in  advance 

5 REPLIES 5
danrh
13 - Pulsar

There's an option to use a field as the file name and to NOT keep it in the output.  You should be able to control the file name in a single formula tool, join it to each set of data, and base the file name off of that:

image.png

You also might want to look into the Table/Layout/Render tools --- they allow you to output to multiple sheets all at the same time, rather than using multiple output data tools.  May or may not help, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Hope it helps!

AbiAtWork
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your response.  

I have not had a chance to try this out, but I will.  :-)

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

The above method is a great way if you need to use your data to decide the output name/location.

The other way could be to use the document constants. See the link here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/All-about-Constants/ta-p/17458

You could create the constants you need, such as:

02-10-2017 15-53-42.png

This would enable you to create a path such as:

02-10-2017 15-55-36.png

You will then just need to update the user constant and that will be carried through into your 6 Output Data tools

AbiAtWork
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you JoeS!

I got it to work!!!! YAY!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Fantastic. I am glad I could help.

If you could also mark the post above as the solution this then helps with the community indexing on the search and could help someone else try to solve a similar problem.

Labels