Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it possible to do a weighted average inside a Summarize In-DB?

mattd17
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

Still fairly new to Designer, I have a fairly hefty database (several hundreds of thousands of unique loans) of a portfolio of assets that updates monthly, and I'm trying to build a summary entirely with in-DB tools. My issue is this:

1. I have a created field "pct_orig" that takes a monthly snapshot of current_loan_balance / original_loan_balance
  2. I have a created field "previous_loan_balance" that references the previous month's current balance
  3. I'm creating a summary using Summarize In-DB that groups my portfolio by loan_type, orig_date, orig_credit_score, loan_status and report_dt and then applies a sum of previous_loan_balance as an additional column
  4. I know I can take an average when building a Summarize In-DB table, but I want my pct_orig field to be weighted by previous_loan_balance rather than a straight average. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

2 REPLIES 2
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think the easiest way is to create a new column pct_orig * previous_loan_balance

Then in the summarise in-db tool create two totals one of pct_orig * previous_loan_balance and one of previous_loan_balance

Finally use a formula in-db tool to created weighted average.

mattd17
7 - Meteor

Thanks! That method did it.

Labels