Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it possible to build a macro input with an indeterminate number of columns?

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

I have a macro set up to process records with an unknown set of columns but I can't figure out how to get the macro to read in a previously unknown set of columns.  The macro input tool requires either a file or manual text template, but I need a dynamic template.  Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @rpaugh

When configuring the macro input you can add the text input template. Please make sure you leave a field with the asterix in it, as this will allow your unknown set of columns to be processed inside the macro.

Capture1.PNG

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

@JordanB, I'm actually already doing that so maybe that's not my problem then.  

I've got a detour inside of a batch macro that takes into account record count.  If record count is 0 then it assumes an insert is happening and de-selects the ID field from the text template, but continues to pass through any remaining fields (per the '*' method you suggested):

2017-07-31_Alteryx Dynamic Detour Sample.png

However, no records are making it to my data source along the insert path.  I did notice that the select tool on that path shows an error since it's relying only on *Unknown fields.  Could that be the issue, and if so do you have an idea how to remove the ID field from the text input template and pass the remaining records through to a data source?

Thanks.

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

@JordanB, I used a combination of your suggestion and changing the select options through actions and got it to work, thanks.  

2017-08-01_Alteryx Dynamic Macro Input.png

Labels