Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is it possible for alteryx to write data into pre-existing local excel file?

AkisM
10 - Fireball

From what I've seen so far Alteryx just creates new Excel/whatever format files. But can it also write into an existing excel file that is color formatted for example (not just adding data to the end of the file, but writing to specific cells?) Kind of like a human copy pasting data from a plain excel into a pretty excel.

4 REPLIES 4
ashissanpui
9 - Comet

What's the purpose of yours? I think you are looping back to manual work.

You can achieve the same format and color coding thorigh alteryx itself which will be dynamic in nature.

AShis

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @AkisM ,

Yes it is possible.

You just need to select to overwrite the document. Then, on the filename you have to input:

\\filepath\filename.xlsx|||`Sheetname$A2:B2`      being A2 the starting column and B2 the finishing column

Total columns has to match.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

AkisM
10 - Fireball

@ashissanpui Hi, I wasn't aware you can do conditional color formatting of cells in Alteryx, which is why I was looking for a way of writing to an existing pre-formatted file. Could you please explain how to conditionally color format cells in Alteryx before exporting as excel?

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@AkisM use the Table tool in the Reporting tab. Click on "Create Row Rule ..." to add colors, fonts etc.

Labels