Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Invalid Type in Operator ==

lp_hall
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I realize this topic has been brought up several times before, but after reviewing all of the existing threads, I still was not able to resolve my issue. So here's my situation: I have a Formula tool that has the following code. The output column is "Office" and the data type is Double.

IF LEFT([Call Queue Code],1) = 1
THEN [Office] = "Company A"
ELSE Null()
ENDIF

Prior to this Formula tool, I have Select tool with the following data types assigned to each field:

lp_hall_0-1621353245158.png

My goal is to fill the "Office" column with "Company A" if the first character of the "Call Queue Code" field is equal to "1".

lp_hall_1-1621353390761.png

In previous posts I've reviewed, there is a consistent fix to remove quotations around the second "1" if it's not a string. As you can see, the "Call Queue Code" field is a Double and not a string, so this should work. But for whatever reason, it does not work for me. Any help would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @lp_hall 

In your scenario "Call Queue Code" should be string and formula should be

IF LEFT([Call Queue Code],1) = "1"
THEN "Company A"
ELSE Null()
ENDIF

And your office column should also be a string since "Company A" is a string. You can change them both in select tool.

Hope this helps 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @lp_hall 

Here is a sample workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1621354225796.png

Formula

IF LEFT([Call Queue Code],1) = "1"
THEN "Company A"
ELSE Null()
ENDIF

Hope this helps 🙂

lp_hall
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @atcodedog05!

You solved it! Also, the workflow helped resolve another issue I was having. There was no need to include the field [Office] on the THEN statement because the output is going to the [Office] column anyway.

Appreciate the help!

Labels