Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Invalid Argument error message when trying to open sample data xls file

s_schwantes
6 - Meteoroid

I'm stepping through Tutorial 04:  Analyzing Data.

The first step is to open Cust_wTransactions.xls Excel file.  However, after locating the file and clicking Open, I keep getting the following error message:

Invalid argument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'ItemIndex', parameter name: ItemIndex.

After clicking okay on the error message box - nothing happens.  Excel has no issues opening this sample file.

I've tried exiting out of Alteryx and relaunching.  No help resolving the issue.

Any ideas?  

BTW ... I'm on version 10.6.8.17850

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
s_schwantes
6 - Meteoroid

I saved the file as a CSV and that worked . . . 

EvanSchmidt
6 - Meteoroid

I'm also experiencing this exact issue with a .xls file

Alteryx 11.5.1

s_schwantes
6 - Meteoroid

try saving your file in CSV format ... that did the trick for me

EvanSchmidt
6 - Meteoroid

I need to the ability to load a .xls file.

Appreciate the workaround, however if other are experiencing this I hope they will post here to help confirm if this is a bug or not.

Saarek
7 - Meteor

This would appear to be a bug, at least it is for me.

I have a workflow that imports 37 different .xls files and it ran fine for last 12 months or so, then I upgraded Alteryx and received the same error for all 37 files...... Very strange.

It seems easy enough to resolve though. In the input tool you are able to select the file format (option 2), I chose Microsoft Excel Legacy and then had no further issues.

Apparently the issue crops in when the file was, at one time or another, an xlsx file that was then saved in the old xls extension.

Hope I have been of some help.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I've created a macro to help resolve the XLS issue.  It uses a Microsoft program (excelcnv.exe) that is already on your computers.  It might vary in the path to where it is stored, but that is an easy update.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excelcnv.exe -oice "path\targetfile.xls" "path\targetfile.xlsx"

Knowing that this command line solution will fix a single file, I created a macro that has no input/outputs and is configured by selecting a folder to operate on.  The macro will make new .xlsx files for all .xls files in that directory.

This is a work-around.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels