Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interpretation of terminal nodes in Decision tree

Scandinavia
5 - Atom

Hi. 

I have produced a regression decision tree. Below you can see a part of it.

I am searching a little bit of help to interpret the branches and end-nodes. Maybe somebody can help? 

Question 1.

If we start at the top at the picture below. We have Major Banks as a decision node.

I wonder, if the two branches beneath Major Banks signify "Yes" and "No", or if all observations below in the sub nodes belong to "Major Banks"? 

Question 2.

If we then look at the terminal nodes, fx under POP<76. Does the left branch then mean "Yes" to POP<76, and the right one means "No" to POP<76? 

Scandinavia_4-1579738082703.png

3 REPLIES 3
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Scandinavia 

Yes you are correct on both. Yes to the left 😉 Here is a good reference for you as well. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Understanding-the-Outputs-of-the-De...

If this solves your issue please mark as solved so that others on the community can find it! 

Thanks!

Joshua

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Scandinavia
5 - Atom

Hi @joshuaburkhow.

Thank you for the answer.

It sounds good.

Just to clarify, so the right interpretation to question 1 is that the two branches beneath Major Banks signify "Yes" and "No"? So all the observations in the sub nodes on the right hand side beneath Major Bank are NOT belonging to Major Banks.     

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Correct  😉

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels