community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Community v19.9

The latest release includes several enhancements designed to improve your Community experience!

Learn More

Interface tools: Date & Action, Update Value with Formula

Asteroid

Hi,

I couldn't find any explanation how to use those tools with Update Value with Formula option. I have an input tool with a query from Redshift (I can't connect the In-DB tool) but I want to change parameters before I execute it. 

Because the whole query is just a text field in XML in where clause I have put:

WHERE client = <client>

and now I would like to replace <client> with the answer from TextBox->Action->InputTool

How do I replace it?

Alteryx Certified Partner

1234 is my default (non-existent) client.  I assume a static set of clients (manual list).

This macro will update the where clause for you.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Asteroid

Yes I managed to get to this at the end, however at first that option wasn't allowed hence I was wondering what could be the usage for "Update Value with Formula" and how it works

The Update Value with Formula option gives you a bit more flexibility on how to affect the configuration of the tool to which the Action tool is connected.

For example, with Update Value, you can only replace a string value in a tool configuration with a string value from the Dropdown Input; a straightforward substitution. In the example above, we take the string value from the Dropdown and replace the string '1234' in the Query. The advantage to this is it is simple to use.

However, sometimes you need to get a bit more advanced.

Let's say my query was 'SELECT * FROM table WHERE id IN (23, 34, 45)'

In your Dropdown tool you had two options, 'Inclusive' and 'Exclusive'. When the user selects inclusive, the query should remain the same. When the user selects exclusive, the query should change to 'SELECT * FROM table WHERE id NOT IN (23, 34, 45)'

There are, of course, multiple ways to do this, but as an example I will use Update Value with Formula.

Below the field [#1] is the string incoming from the dropdown tool and [Destination] is the string I am choosing to update in the configuration, the query.

Capture.PNG

Atom

Hi I am trying to Create a simple analytics to replace a word from a text input and displaying it through browser or storing in file. Tried another attached workflow where in tried to change a value in filter through action tool from interface . Nothing worked . Workflow runs but nothing changes . 

Please help and provide some sample app for that.

regards

Vipin 

I have list of options that I want to perform on dataset I have uploaded. So basically I want to store the value from drop down into a variable, so that I can use that variable to check if I have option A then (A+B) , if B (A-B) and so on. 

@dawid_nawrot wrote:

Hi,

I couldn't find any explanation how to use those tools with Update Value with Formula option. I have an input tool with a query from Redshift (I can't connect the In-DB tool) but I want to change parameters before I execute it. 

Because the whole query is just a text field in XML in where clause I have put:

WHERE client = <client>

and now I would like to replace <client> with the answer from TextBox->Action->InputTool

How do I replace it?

Highlighted
Meteoroid

I wanted to know if the `replace a specific string` would replace all instances of that string in the query or the first one? Lets say i have 1234 two times in my query. Will it replace it on both the places or only on the first instance?

Labels