Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface tool to select specific sheet from xlsx file

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

My idea was to use an interface tool to allow the end user to choose the required sheet name of an xlsx file and the workflow would profile the data of that chosen sheet. Is this possible ? 
FYI, data on all the sheets are in the same layout (Field names are same)

10 REPLIES 10
saimohan
5 - Atom

yes. the input data tool when connected to file browse and action tool provides an interface to the user to select the file name and sheet name for xlsx file.

Then, create the data profile and output into an excel file (this would be a temporary file). Now you can create another analytic app with list box or text box to display the data in the temporary excel file. Now in the first workflow where the user selects the xlsx file, use the run command at the end to trigger the 2nd workflow app which would display the data from the temporary excel file (data profiling information). At the end of 2nd workflow, you will have to define another run command to delete the temporary excel.

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

Hi @saimohan ,

Do you mind sharing an example please.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Mario36 ,

a chained app would be perfect here.

App1 will use a file browse to select the file, this will kick through the sheet names to App 2 which allows the user to then select the sheet name.

Boom.

M.

Bulien

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

Could you share an example ?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Mario36 ,

ok, without going too much into chained apps (there are resources on the community to help you there) I've built a chained app that asks you to select the file you wish to import. This takes that file, pulls in the sheet names, and outputs a temp file:

mceleavey_0-1637342070925.pngmceleavey_1-1637342152858.png

Here, it doesn't matter what Sheet you select, so just select the file and then the default.

You will then get another popup:

mceleavey_2-1637342224220.png

Select your sheet and away you go.

I've attached the extracted app which contains everything you need.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Obviously this is just an example of using chained apps. You can obviously select sheets, but if you wanted to select like for like sheets across multiple files, this could be a way of doing it

M.

Bulien

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

What I actually wanted was 

1. Get the sheet names of an excel file as a dropdown

2. Choose the sheet name from the dropdown

3. Populate the data based on the selection

So, as per the attached excel file, I have the below sheet names which need to go in as a dropdown. Based on what sheet I select, the relevant data should populate.

Sheet Names :
Banana 
Mango

Apple 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Mario36 ,

Are you looking for something like this?

Regards

Mario36
8 - Asteroid

This is something I was looking for

Labels