community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Interface to pick various input files

Asteroid

Is there a way for end-user to pick various txt files from one folder?

I have flows that collect data from specific folder, selects one specific file but have issue to configure an interface that will allow pick specific files.

image.png

Alteryx Certified Partner

@mszpot89,

You might consider a "Chained" application.  Step one would be to read the directory and to create a YXDB file that contains the options.  The application would call the next (real) application which then had a list box that reads from an external file the listing.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Asteroid

I've managed to reach this point. Below workflow allows to pick files from a folder with check box but unfortunately the check box action is not happening by limiting the input files...

image.png

Hi @mszpot89,

I've built the workflow that achieves what I think you're after. This allows you to select any file or files within the directory folder. Let me know if this helps.

(NOTE: You'll need to replace the filepaths in the Directory and Output tools.)

EDIT: You'll also need to add the Dynamic Input tool after the filter, obviously.

M.

Asteroid

@mceleavey - thank for the input but after your mods no results are returned :(

True statement returns no data while False returns both.

Picking one file still results in both being transferred to the output.

I tried to edit the filter tool but no success.

[UPDATE]

After mods I can pick only one file, both files crash the workflow.

Ah, yes. With more than one file it may need to be a batch macro which would loop through the import of multiple files sequentially until the count of selected is met.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Tried to use dynamic replace but no success yet.

Hi @mszpot89,

apologies but I've not had much of a chance to look at this. I've built a quick batch macro and embedded it, and the filter should update with the new values.

Unfortunately, no matter what I do it doesn't seem to be updating the filter value. Maybe you can fix that, as I can't see anything wrong with it and I don't have any more time to spend on it today I'm afraid.

This should get you a bit further down the road though hopefully.

M.

Labels