Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

Interface filter

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have created a workflow. I want to filter one column which has (A,B,C,D) as the content in that column. I used a filter tool in my workflow to filter only "A" in that column. I am converting it to an app using interface tools.

I use a text box from interface tools to filter that column which contains (A,B,C,D). I am only able to display value A in that column as output.

I want to filter A or B or C or D depending on the need without changing the filter criteria in work flow.

Is it possible.

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

You can.  There are a couple of things to make sure of:

1- Under the Workflow Configuration, Workflow tab make sure "Analytic App" is selected.

2- On your Action tool, make sure you have selected the "Operand - value="A"" as the attribute to update:

image.png

3- Make sure you have some sort of Output at the end.  If you run it as an Analytic App without that, it will just tell you there were no output files and you won't be able to see the results.

4- Run the workflow as an Analytic App.  There's a "magic wand" button just to the right of the run button.

image.png

Good luck!

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

@danrh

I think i have not put it clearly.

I have a worflow and app already built.

My problem is i want to filter a specific column. What ever i filter in workflow is coming as output in App rather than what i filter in App.

How to fix this.

Say for example, i have filter "A" in workflow. In App i am not able to filter "B". How to do this,

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

Could you post a sample of what you're expecting and what you're currently getting?  The interface tools will update the filter --- you put "A" in the filter to initially set it up, but then set the Action tool to update the filter to whatever you type into the textbox.

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have added a workflow. I have made a filter of "A". In the App, i need to filter "B". is that possible.

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

Awesome, got it.

In your Action tool, select "Expression - value="[Column 1] = "A" ", then at the bottom of the configuration select "Replace a specific string" and enter "A" without quotes.  Run it as an Analytic App, enter "B" and it outputs just the single B record.

image.png

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

After clicking the Magic stick is it possible to choose "C". If i update "A" or "B". My request is, if i provide this to some one they should be able to use the App without my help.

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

Yes, they should be able to run it without assistance, and entering C instead of B will output just the C records.  You also might consider using a different Interface tool if the options the user should be selecting are limited, for instance the Drop Down or Radio Button.  That way the user can select an option rather than entering it and decrease the risk of mis-typing:

image.png

7 - Meteor

i tried using the drop down, i had the same problem of get filtered only the options in work flow and not in App.

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

If you make the same changes that I mentioned above to your Action tool, the Dropdown should work as well --- I just test ran it with D and got the 3 D records.  See attached.

Labels