Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface drop-down tool not importing data from SQL table

DanLarbalestier
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I am trying to configure an Interface Drop-down tool with a list from a SQL table. I have connected to the database, table and defined the column in the SQL statement, however the drop-down tool only shows the column header.

Do i need to further configure the drop-down tool in any way?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

7 REPLIES 7
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Dan,

With the workflow that you have created the In-DB tools will need to run in order to produce the data that you want to display in the dropdown.

You are seeing the metadata in the dropdown as that is all Alteryx can display at design time.

In the dropdown, there is an option to connect to an external source, this is what you need to use if you want to display the values from a table/select statement.

dropdown.png

Please note the columns need to be "NAME" and "VALUE"

That should then give you the options you require

DanLarbalestier
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Joe

This may seem like a silly question but the NAME & VALUE piece confuses me a little. The data type is a string and has no value associated with it. 

Am I going about this in the wrong way?

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

That's not a silly question at all.

The name is what the user will see in the dropdown, the value is what will be put in the data.

Often these are the same thing, but sometimes the user may want to see and choose from a description, but the data needs to have the code.

In your select statement you can just have name and value set to be the same thing, if need be.

For Example:

NAME|VALUE
England|ENG
Wales|WAL
Scotland|SCO
Ireland|IRE
DanLarbalestier
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Joe

I have attached screen shots of the table i want to connect to and the subsequent SQL statement. Can you tell me how i should structure the SQL query to achieve what i want?

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sure, I think you'd want the statement to be:

Select
LookUp.[Connected Party] as NAME,
LookUp.[Connected Party] as VALUE
From LookUp
DanLarbalestier
6 - Meteoroid

Cheers Joe

Much appreciated!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

No problem, glad you managed to get what you wanted!

Labels