Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Tool

ayadav8
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am fairly new to creating analytical applications. I need a user interface which shows a question to the user "Do you need to upload a file?", and it should give an option of file browse which is then connected to the input file of the workflow only when it is answered "yes". 

I am not sure how to perform this task. Which tool do I need to use ?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can nestle the File Browse tool under a Check Box tool to achieve this .

Edit: Be sure to check "Collapse Group when Deselected".

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

ayadav8
8 - Asteroid

@StephenR I tried doing that. Not sure how do I nest the Check Box tool with File browse. Attached is the workflow.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can achieve this by using the 'interface designer' which you can see by doing to 'view' on the top toolbar and then selecting 'interface designer'. Upon this you can promote your filebrowse tool up into the same 'group' as the checkbox.

So moving from this...

at present.png

to this...

Correct.png

by using the up arrow on the right side.

Also, a key point if you are going to use an optional input is that the checkbox for 'required' on the configuration of the action tool which is connected to the input should be unchecked.

I've attached the amended version of your workflow.

Ben

ayadav8
8 - Asteroid

This is perfect. Thanks Ben

Labels